In the Institutes, Calvin suggests six ways prayer
contributes to our growth in Christ:
1. It inflames our hearts with the desire to seek, love, and serve God;
2. It trains us to expose the secrets and desires of our hearts to God;
3. It promotes gratitude;
4. It leads to meditation on God’s kindness as a result of His having answered our prayers;
5. It produces even greater joy in those things that we have obtained through prayer; and
6. Finally, it serves as a personal confirmation of God’s providence.
-John Calvin, Institutes, 3.20.3.